Welcome to Precinct 134, a political blog focusing on Chandler, Arizona and the surrounding community.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Thank you, Senator Huppenthal.

On Friday, a group of us representatives from Maricopa County's Student Public Policy Forum (SPPF) went to the State Capitol in Phoenix to meet with some legislators and staff. I'm a SPPF representative from Chandler-Gilbert Community College.

I'll share more about our visit and the results later. But I did want to express my thanks for Senator John Huppenthal's taking time out of his day to meet with us.

Our meeting with him in the Senate building lasted about 20 minutes. We asked Senator Huppenthal a number of questions, many of them related to education policy and legislation. I also asked him about some of his legislation related to education which seemed to be, in my view, running counter to his stated principle of "local control" in decision-making. I'll share more about that and Senator Huppenthal's response later, too. It was a very cordial visit and I thank Senator Huppenthal for his time and attention.

As we were leaving, I shook his hand and told him "I appreciate your public service, and I also appreciate your participation on my blog."

He laughed and replied, "I enjoy your blog! Even though you beat the hell out of me."

I laughed, too, and reiterated that I appreciate his service to our community.

Thank you, again, for your time on Friday and for your public service, Senator Huppenthal. Though we disagree on some issues, I do value your willingness to serve our community and the effort you put into the task. I continue to pray for you as one of our community leaders.

Also, while touring the State House side of the lege, our forum was allowed onto the floor of the House for an information session. During the presentation, I sat in Representative Bob Robson's seat. So thank you, too, Representative Robson, for your hospitality in sharing your desk with me. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright 2006 © Geo's Precinct 134
All Rights Reserved.
eXTReMe Tracker