Memorials, controversy and playing politics with national grief.
In fact, I think it's quite telling that we've heard very little about the 9/11 Memorial controversy since the elections. But nevertheless, I would urge people to see the thing themselves before they make up their own minds.
Just out of curiosity, I went over to the Viet Nam Memorial and paid closer attention to what was written on it since the last time I was there. I was stunned to notice something. Namely, there are far more potentially controversial passages on that memorial than on the 9/11 monument.
I jotted down a few of the quotes:
1968: My Lai massacre occurs
1969: 4 students killed by National Guard at Kent State
1971: Lt. Calley convicted of My Lai massacres
1972: US bombard North Viet Nam on Christmas
1973: US Senate rejects $260,000,000 in aid to South Viet Nam
1973: US House of Representatives approves $474,000,000 cutback in aid to South Viet Nam
1975: President Ford requests massive aid to South Viet Nam to halt offensive. Congress refuses.
1975: Saigon falls to NVA on April 30th, 1975.
Now, those statements are clearly at least as interpretable as being condemning of US actions than anything on the 9/11 Memorial. So why haven't we heard a hue and cry from Don Goldwater, Len Munsil and JD Hayworth to get them removed from the Viet Nam Memorial?
Perhaps it's as Janet Napolitano recently said of Hayworth, that consistency just isn't their best thing.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home