Welcome to Precinct 134, a political blog focusing on Chandler, Arizona and the surrounding community.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Napolitano, Mitchell and Gratehouse stand together.

I just got home from a gathering in Ahwatukee to launch a neighborhood walk for Democratic candidates in this year's election. Governor Janet Napolitano and candidate Harry Mitchell were preparing to walk together to canvass for each other. State Senate candidate Donna Gratehouse was also in attendance, with about 40 supporters, staff and media.

It was the first time I'd been able to meet Napolitano in person, so I was excited at the opportunity. Before I left for the event, I told my Stepdad Troy - a disabled veteran of WWII and the Korean War with Purple Hearts from both - that I was going to see the Governor.

"Is there anything you'd like me to tell her tonight?" I asked him.

"Just tell her," he said with a smile, "that I think she's doing a great job and to keep up the good work."

I promised him I'd do so, if I got the chance.

As people arrived at the house in Ahwatukee, Judy and Bill, the hosts for the evening, were arranging signs with Nick, one of Mitchell's staffers. Soon, others began arriving, including local journalists and other supporters. After a bit, an advance member of the Governor's security detail arrived to walk through the house.

Once Donna, Harry and Janet were all there, things got under way. As the Governor was perusing the literature they were to be handing out during their walk, I took the opportunity to shake her hand, introduce myself and share with her the words my Stepdad had asked me to say.

She smiled and responded "Tell him thank you very much for saying that - that's very kind."

Soon, the three candidates were able to stand together to speak briefly to the assembled crowd about the importance of this election. Harry Mitchell, candidate for US Congress and trailing by only one percentage point in the latest poll, shared why it was important to make a change in Washington DC.

Napolitano, who is whupping the tar out of her challenger Munsil by 30 or 40 points in the polls, echoed Harry's points and urged us to work hard to elect Harry.

Janet then turned to Donna Gratehouse and Donna, who is running for State Senate, spoke about how important it was to have a State Legislature that would work with the Governor and not try to undermine her.

I was pleased to see the three candidates come together like that. As far as I know, that's the first time they've come together for an event. It was a powerful moment of solidarity and unity as they support each other in the coming elections.

I'm sure that an article and pictures of the three of them will come out in the AZ Republic and the Ahwatukee News, too. I don't know if any pictures that were taken at the event have me in them, but if so, I'll post one here.

When I got home this evening, I told my Stepdad I had faithfully carried out my promise and told the Governor what he had asked me to say. He smiled and said "Yep, she's doing a good job, all right."

Update: Thanks, Bill!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder how Napolitano and Michell would feel about the stand Donna Gratehouse took at the candidate debate on legalizing pot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYmwyry2Arg

11:36 PM  
Blogger Geo said...

Dear Anonymous,

I wonder how most folks would feel about John Huppenthal's complete and utter rejection of allowing marijuana to be prescribed medicinally by a doctor - even to alleviate extreme suffering of terminally ill patients.

Huppenthal regrettably would prefer to be ideologically pure on this issue rather than do the humane thing and make a drug available that could alleviate the suffering of millions of people.

Fortunately, Huppenthal's view is in the shrinking minority. A large and growing majority of Arizona voters - 88% according to one recent poll by AZCentral.com - recognize the practical, common sense use of this drug.

Those are Huppenthal's own constituents disagreeing with him so profoundly. So it would seem that Huppenthal is clearly not representing the mainstream in his district.

Furthermore, these high figures are generally in line with national polls conducted by the AARP (72%) and Time/CNN (80%). Arizonans want this medicine to be available for people who are suffering.

Finally, Huppenthal's attempt to use this issue as a political football does serious insult to those who are suffering and desperately in need of medicine.

This is a serious matter of taking both a scientific and moral stand to alleviate the suffering of millions of people. As both a formally trained scientist and an Evangelical Christian, I simply cannot support Huppenthal's flat rejection of this much-needed medical treatment.

Respectfully,
Geo

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright 2006 © Geo's Precinct 134
All Rights Reserved.
eXTReMe Tracker