Welcome to Precinct 134, a political blog focusing on Chandler, Arizona and the surrounding community.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Canvassing with Mitchell, Gordon, Gratehouse, Stanton, Mead and others!



Public servants support each other on a bright Saturday in Ahwatukee.

(l-r: Former State Senator Slade Mead, Phoenix City Councilman Greg Stanton, candidate for US Congress Harry Mitchell, candidate for AZ Senate Donna Gratehouse and Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon. Photo by Geo.)

This morning I passed a very enjoyable time in Ahwatukee with candidate Donna Gratehouse and a number of other really fine folks. The day was dedicated to canvassing for Harry Mitchell, who's running for US Congress for AZ-5, as well as for Donna Gratehouse, running for State Senate in LD-20.

We kicked off the walk at the Sun Ray Park, with an appearance by Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon who came out to walk with Harry Mitchell and the rest of us. In addition to the Mayor, we also had Phoenix Councilman Greg Stanton and former State Senator Slade Mead in attendance.

Before the walk got started, we were chatting there in the park and Harry introduced me to his wife Marianne. A charming lady, Mrs. Mitchell and a few of us discussed the impact of campaigning on their family. She noted that they had campaigned many, many times before. But, she said, it was nothing like this time. The intensity of this race far exceeded their earlier experiences.

It's easy to see why, too, with all of the money being poured into this campaign and the negative ads from Mitchell's opponent. The sheer amount of territory to cover, the media, the number of volunteers. It's a huge undertaking. And it sounded to me like the Mitchells were doing well and had it under control, though, a testimony to the strength of their convictions, the resilience of their family and their experience in dealing with the stresses of campaigning. Harry is very fortunate to be so blessed to have that kind of support.

When we were ready, Phoenix Mayor Gordon then shared shared a few words about the importance of the race and his endorsement of Harry Mitchell. He expressed his thanks for the 30 or so volunteers that had given their Saturday morning to canvass in Ahwatukee. Larger groups were simultaneously meeting in Tempe and Scottsdale to similarly get out the vote for Harry. The Mayor also introduced Councilman Stanton and Slade Mead, who both have been instrumental in serving our community.

Mayor Gordon inroduced Harry, making reference to the recent AZ Republic's endorsement of Harry. Harry similarly expressed his thanks to the volunteers. He noted how close the polls were and how close the race was expected to be, but encouraged us in that the momentum appeared to be on our side. He was very energetic as he described the dynamics of the race and I think he has good reason to be optimistic.

Harry then introduced Donna Gratehouse, who was able to speak about the need for a state legislature dedicated to constructive governance, instead of undermining the Governor with divisive partisanship.

One cannot help but be impressed by the dedication and sincerity of these public servants. Each of them has an obvious passion and drive for helping make our community better and it's a privilege to be able to support them in their effort to do so.

Channel 12 News was also on hand and interviewed Mayor Gordon afterwards. The crowd then split up in twos and threes to go walk various precincts. Donna Gratehouse, another volunteer and I teamed up to visit Thunderhill A precinct, near 32nd Street and Ray.

As the three of us were among the last to head out to canvass, we were available for the 12 News team to interview, once they finished interviewing Mayor Gordon. They interviewed Donna first and - I'll tell you - she was outstanding. Very polished, professional and just generally on-point. This woman is ready for the State Senate!

The reporters then interviewed me, asking how I felt about Governor Napolitano. It was the first time I think I've ever been interviewed on television. I don't think it was very polished or well spoken. I haven't prepared comments for such an eventuality - but I told the truth and spoke from the heart. It didn't last more than a few minutes, but I was glad to have the opportunity to share how I felt. They even asked about my blog!

To be honest, it was a little surreal.

I think I was just more stunned that, here I was, a volunteer, and in the past few weeks I've met the Governor of Arizona, the Mayor of Phoenix, a Phoenix Councilman (twice), various candidates for office (including our soon-to-be Congressman Mitchell and State Senator Gratehouse, I hope) and lots of wonderful volunteers and political activists who are, basically, just passionate about making their community, state and country a better place.

I've had a letter published in the local paper and been interviewed by newspaper reporters and for television news. It all seems a little...new...for someone like me who - while I've been involved in community development of one kind or another for eight years - generally hasn't spent much time in the political spotlight and does most of his political expression here on this blog.

But I have to say, anyone that says they don't have access to the political process is just wrong. Get out, invest a little time, energy and shoe leather and it's amazing the kind of involvement and engagement that can result. It's great for boosting your faith in participative democracy.

By the way, those are some beautiful homes you folks have over there in Thunderhill A precinct. Pretty environment, too, with the little hills and draws. Everyone we met today was extra nice and accessible. On such a beautiful day, meeting such nice people and working with such a pleasant and fun candidate and staff, it makes it a particular pleasure to do canvassing.

I'm not sure I'll be watching the news tonight, but if anyone happens to see me, drop me a line and let me know what you thought. :)



The Mitchells and me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright 2006 © Geo's Precinct 134
All Rights Reserved.
eXTReMe Tracker