Welcome to Precinct 134, a political blog focusing on Chandler, Arizona and the surrounding community.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Weninger gets a website.

City Council Candidate Jeff Weninger has set up a website, here. It's not what I'd call very polished, but it is at least something. I'm endorsing Jeff's two opponents - Trinity Donovan and Becky jackson - in this race, for reasons I've made clear before. But, in the spirit of being as informed as possible, you might consider checking out Jeff's site.

Jeff has an attractive family and it's impressive that he owns four restaurants. Beyond that, however, I don't find a lot positive to comment on, and a fair amount that's cause for concern.

1. I have said it before (see my link above), but Jeff's "Viewpoint" page makes it very clear that he's using the Pentz issue as a significant campaign issue. As I have written significantly about this before, and how I find it an unfortunate attempt to engage in polarizing, wedge-issue politics, to the detriment of our City and the reputations of members on the Council, I will just say again that I find this very disappointing.

2. Although the Chandler City Council race is supposed to be a non-partisan race, and Jeff has made a point that he hasn't traded on the fact that he's a Republican (candidate Becky Jackson is as well), he goes out of his way to note in his "My Community" page that fully six of eight of his listed "Community Activities" are serving in various capacities as an operative in the Republican Party.

Furthermore, while Weninger suggests Becky Jackson's significant Board service for our city isn't a mark of good community service, the OTHER two of eight of his community service activities are - you guessed it - Board service (though not Chandler city boards). One is on the board for the Boys and Girls Club and the other is on his HOA board.

Folks, when a candidate's list of "community activity" is six ways he's been a partisan political operative and two ways he's served on Boards, which is a kind of service that he himself has said doesn't amount to much, it's NOT a very glowing testimony of his civic-mindedness.

3. Weninger's endorsements look like a roll call of the Arizona Republican Party. But given how the Republicans have been going lately, it's not what I'd call inspiring that he's sat in J.D. Hayworth's office or shaken hands with Joe Arpaio.

What's more telling, though, is that, outside of right-wing politicians, there don't seem to be ANY Chandler associations or community groups endorsing him. That's pretty damning, to be honest.

As I look at the endorsement list, it's becoming pretty clear that the establishment, good-old-boy network is trying to help Jeff on his growth track in a political career. It'll probably work - I expect Jeff will be elected to the Council. But it won't reflect well on Weninger and, to my mind, will forever be a blot on his record that he played a part in a reckless effort to tear the city apart in a bid for public office.

But I know Republicans like to vote for another Republican, even in nonpartisan races. And with Donovan as clearly best candidate by a long shot, that leaves one Republican to vote for. But if partisanship is going to creep into the race (and it has, you'd better believe it), then I'd urge partisan Republicans to vote for Becky Jackson instead of Weninger. Jackson has the support of the Chandler Chamber of Commerce and Chandler Fire and Police, not to mention experience on various City Boards, none of which Weninger has.

4. On his "Objectives" page, we find a laundry list of things Jeff plans to do on the council. Most of it comes across as straight campaign fluff. "Lower Property Taxes", for example, is taken right out of the "Populist Pablum" notebook. Promising tax cuts is a sure way to appeal to people, even when it's impractical, will undermine the community or will otherwise merely be a token to make the politician look good.

In this case, the City's assessment is only 10% of the property taxes levied. That means that even if Chandler COMPLETELY ELIMINATED it's property assessment, it would only reduce our property tax bill by 10%. Of course, the city would be bankrupt, too. The reality is that the City doesn't have any leeway to make a whole lot of impact on our property taxes, though folks like to complain about it and politicians like to posture about it. For example, the great, recent tax reduction voted on by Council will save me the price of a Happy Meal™ per year. This is the kind of thing Jeff proposes to do for us? Please.

And when Jeff talks about "providing the police and fire with what they need to safeguard the citizens of Chandler", he conveniently neglects to note that Chandler's Police and Fire have endorsed his two opponents - Donovan and Jackson - because they trust them more to provide what's needed.

Jeff also forgets to note that his desire to bring back Pentz as Chandler City Manager is in direct opposition to the unanimous statement of the Board of the Chandler Law Enforcement Association, who don't have confidence in Pentz. So, this list - in some cases - is worse than political pablum.

In conclusion, as Jeff's contact page says, "The future prosperity of Chandler is largely dependent upon the decisions and actions taken by the City Council." I agree with him. And that's all the more reason to vote for his two opponents, Trinity Donovan and Becky Jackson, on Tuesday, May 16th.

2 Comments:

Blogger Geo said...

I received this email today from Jeff in response to my post.

My reply is in a comment following after.

-Geo

...Jeff's email follows...

Jeff Weninger's response to Geo's post

I once again want to thank Geo for his Blog and the opportunity to respond to his post. With that said I will comment on them in order.

1. The Pentz issue is a significant issue for Chandler. I believe it is the most important issue in Chandler. Why is it polarizing to express my views on this subject? The separation of the City Manager was what hurt the City of Chandler, not my opinion on the matter. It is irresponsible to not comment on it. One of my opponents did not have an opinion until 2 weeks after Pentz was separated. Why don't you ask that person why it took so long for her stance on the issue? I hope we can agree that the issue at least deserves a statement from someone aspiring to be a councilmember.

I was talking about this days before the hearing was held. How would I know how it would all end up? I took a leadership position on the issue and made it clear where I stood. I will not apologize for standing by this good man. I had nothing to do with citizens disgust with the Council on this issue. I appreciate the fact that you believe I have that kind of power but I don't. I have not been silent on other issues. I have stated in detail my position on any issue raised.

2. I disagree totally with the assessment that I went out of my way to point out my party affiliation. It is only detailed in describing what National Convention I was a delegate to. I listed all of my activities in District 20 in a generic way. Furthermore, I NEVER said that Ms. Jackson's participation on boards wasn't a good mark of community service. I said that it shouldn't be defined as the only thing that counts as community service. I also said that I find it hard to believe that someone could be truly effective if they were on 10 different boards. In fact, in an earlier post you said we were in agreement on this matter.

That list is not the sum total of my community service. To be honest I have explained this enough in the past and I am frankly fed up with it. If you or anyone else thinks that the contributions and time that I have given to this community means nothing then so be it. I sleep very well at night knowing that I do my part for my city and neighbors.

3. I have endorsements from those who represent Chandler in our state legislature. Talk to the citizens of Chandler about this one. Should I be embarrassed that all six of Chandler's elected reps. endorsed me? I think not. I am proud of my endorsements. I don't agree with all of them 100% of the time, but I don't agree with my wife 100% of the time either and she still puts up with me.

You are correct, Becky (President of the Chamber of Commerce) was endorsed by the Chamber of Commerce. That one is a shocker!! I did get into this race late and the fire and the CLEA endorsements had been locked up. I have a lot of support from the rank and file police officers and fire fighters. I talk to many of them every day. I also have a cordial relationship with the heads of their unions. I know you realize that with CLEA eight people decide who they will endorse. I do have the endorsement of the Chandler Lieutenants & Sergeants Association. They informed me that everyone of their members votes to see who they endorse.

4. I covered part of this comment above so I will skip to the part about CLEA being opposed to bringing back Mark Pentz as the city manager. CLEA is one part of the city workforce. I respect their opinion as well as the opinions of other city personnel in different departments. I respect the opinions of hundreds of Chandler citizens who have spoken up on this matter. All of the stakeholders opinions are important and all should be given a chance to be heard.

Thanks again for allowing me to respond. This is actually fun for me and I hope to continue this interaction as a councilmember.

Jeff Weninger

6:16 AM  
Blogger Geo said...

A few thoughts in response to Jeff's email.

1. Again, I won't beat this dead horse further. But from my investigations and research, the Pentz affair is being used, very directly by some, as a political wedge issue in our City. I believe Jeff is not merely voicing his opinions on Pentz, but using it as a major campaign issue. He himself says "it is the most important issue in Chandler." If every campaign needs an issue, Pentz is Weninger's. And while Jeff is right about not having much power to make this an issue by himself, he's part of a rather large and powerful network of people that are doing just that.

2. I'll leave it to readers to make up their own minds about whether Jeff's webpage does or doesn't indicate that six of his listed community activities are serving as a political party operative, and whether it isn't clear he's a Republican.

As for Becky Jackson, Jeff and I are in agreement that serving on City boards are not definitive. But it's reasonable to point out that it's not possible to dismiss their importance on one hand, and then expect your own service on boards to be considered with undiluted favor.

And as far as attacking Jeff's charity or suggesting what he's done for the community means nothing, no one on this blog has done it, and I haven't seen any serious treatment online that has done so. I've just been placing his contributions into perspective and context with the other candidates, whom I believe have a more favorable record in community service.

3. It's good that Jeff is proud that representatives of his political party are backing him. But we are not required to be so credulous as to imagine that their endorsements have nothing to do with the fact that Jeff is a rising political operative in their party.

Nor are we required to suspend our critical faculties so as to believe the implication that, had Jeff entered the race sooner, he might have had the endorsements of Chandler Fire and Police that now rest with Donovan and Jackson. Given his positions, that seems very unlikely.

4. Indeed, the Chandler Police are only one part of the Chandler workforce (CLEA represents two-thirds of Chandler Police). But my point was addressing Jeff's specific comment about "providing the Fire and Police what they need". When most of the Fire and Police in Chandler are saying they don't need or want Pentz or Weninger, and are actively supporting Weninger's opponents - Donovan and Jackson - it's a fair thing to note.

One final note: as I've said before, I believe Jeff stands a good chance of being elected. There's such a groundswell of outrage that's been stirred up over the Pentz affair and Jeff is clearly aligned with that, that I believe he'll receive a lot of support. And his political affiliation and network will also avail him significantly, even thought the race is supposed to be nonpartisan.

The only way I see this not happening is if people who vote to reject the negativism and polarizing wedge politics about Pentz and go to the polls instead to support Donovan and Jackson as part of their civic duty.

Whatever the outcome, I have been grateful for Jeff's responsiveness to my critiques, both publicly and privately. As I've communicated to him, I've made some pointed criticisms and have appreciated his willingness to engage with those.

-Geo

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright 2006 © Geo's Precinct 134
All Rights Reserved.
eXTReMe Tracker