Welcome to Precinct 134, a political blog focusing on Chandler, Arizona and the surrounding community.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Councilman Orlando responds to Precinct 134 on Pentz, Recall

In what I must say is a thorough-going and in-depth reply, Councilman Matt Orlando has kindly responded today to a series of rather pointed questions I posed to him by email. This "email interview", which is becoming a tradition on Precinct 134, focuses on the City Council's actions in the recent separation of City Manager Mark Pentz and the ensuing Recall effort initiated by Ray Pilara.

Bluntly put, I believe anyone who reads this interview with an open mind will find it difficult to support the Recall without serious doubts in their mind.

I'll copy our email exchange without edit and let the comments speak for themselves. Please note that Councilman Orlando responded by copying my letter and then placing his answers beneath each of my questions in his reply. I'll place my specific questions in italics to help keep them separated from his responses. His letter:
George,

It was gracious of you to allow me the opportunity to express my opinions. After you read this, we can talk and I can "fill in" any additional questions you might have.

Matt

[NB: My letter is then copied below his signature. -Geo]

From: George Gregg
To: [Councilman Orlando]
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 6:59 AM
Subject: Re: possibly speaking

Dear Matt,

As I mentioned in my earlier email today, I am very grateful for your kind willingness to interact with me on these issues.

In preparation for our phone call, I wrote the key half-dozen questions/thoughts I'd like to address with you in our call, as well as hear any comments you'd like to make. In the interest of making this as constructive a process as possible, I thought I'd communicate those questions/thoughts with you beforehand, so you aren't blind-sided by anything I'd be asking. You may have other goals for our phone call, though, and I'm very happy to respect that.

Of course, feel free to respond to any or all of these thoughts in writing, as well, if you wish. I'll be happy to publicly post whatever comments you wish to share. Otherwise, I'll look forward to our phone call.

Questions/thoughts follow.

Very respectfully yours,
George Gregg

Suggested questions/thoughts for our upcoming phone conversation:

1. As I've said on my blog, it seems like there may have been friction on the Council developing well before the Pentz affair came to a head. Going back, I'd first like to ask you about that. From your perspective, has there been any evidence of partisanship or factionalizing or possible friction before the Pentz review became an issue? What about particularly between Mayor Dunn and Councilman Sepulveda? Between Councilman Sepulveda and City Manager Pentz?

I can't answer for Sepulveda, Pentz, or Mayor Dunn; I can only answer for myself. In my ten years as a councilmember, I conducted over 40 personnel reviews for the four individuals who work for the council (City Manager, City Attorney, City Clerk and City Magistrate) and I can't remember any review going more than one evening session. However, during my first review with Mr. Pentz it took me and the rest of the council three evenings to reach a consensus. Some council members had issues with Mr. Pentz's performance; so did I. However, for the first six months I was on the council I gave the city manager the benefit of any doubts I had, as well as give him time to improve his performance. Also, I never had any friction with Mr. Pentz. I liked him as an individual, supported him on all of his personnel moves, and on most of the issues he recommended to the Council. As I stated publicly, my major concern was his lack of follow-through on requests from Council members and citizens and, to a lesser extent, his lack of communication of Council issues to his staff.

Prior to Martin and me returning to office in June 2004, the city council had friction with the previous city manager, Donna Dreska. Ms Dreska was the assistant city manager and was appointed city manager by the Council when Lloyd Harrell retired. I learned from news accounts, memos, and discussions with past and present council members that Ms. Dreska was given a separation package to leave her post. That package cost the city $145,000. The council, as in the case with Mr. Pentz, was split on whether to retain or let Ms. Dreska go. Interestingly, the three Council members who today wanted to keep Mr. Pentz were the ones who wanted Ms. Dreska to leave. Ms. Dreska chose to depart quietly and professionally. There was no hullabaloo in the press over Ms. Dreska's leaving.


2. I've noted also there was a serious escalation in tensions on the Pentz performance review before it was held, with Pentz himself calling for a public review and Mayor Dunn calling for it to be publicized. Pentz also brought his attorney, which I gather is uncommon in such reviews. And there was evidently significant feedback from various business people in praise of Pentz, which may or may not have been solicited. In your opinion, what led to this escalation beforehand? Had there been comments made to Pentz that suggested to him that this review would be very unfavorable? Is there any indication that members of the Council contributed to this escalation of conflict and, if so, how?

Again, I can't answer for other council members. I can say there were news accounts that Mr. Sepulveda was upset with the city manager for not continuing his council pay while he served in Iraq. However, a lot of the hubbub over continuing Mr. Sepulveda's pay is fabrication. Council member Sepulveda didn't know his pay was suspended until after it became an issue. Later Mr. Sepulveda told me in an email from Iraqi that he was disappointed Mr. Pentz used his staff to notify his wife about the discontinuing of the pay. The timeline I pieced together suggests Mr. Pentz and/or staff could have contacted Council member Sepulveda before he left country or they could have sent an email or letter to Mr. Sepulveda and avoided unnecessarily upsetting his family. As a member of the military myself, the last thing a service member wants to hear (particularly in a war zone) is that your family is unduly being upset. Believe me, Council member Sepulveda doesn't need the money and he didn't join the military or seek public office for the pay.

I don't know who would have told Mr. Pentz about any pending unfavorable reviews. No one I asked talked to him because they were respecting the city manager's right to privacy and would have only talked to him in executive session (behind close doors). Let me add here that about two weeks before the city manager's review, Mr. Pentz called me and asked me directly if I was in support of retaining him. I told him it was not appropriate for me to comment on his review outside a closed door format. In addition, I told him I hadn't made up my mind and would do so after he had his review.

Shortly afterward, I starting hearing from reliable sources (an attorney that represented a business that was contacted and members of the Chamber of Commerce) that a lobbyist group was calling many of the Chandler businesses and asking them to write letters of support of Mr. Pentz. In addition, a media blitz was started by certain Council members and supporters for a particular council candidate. I have no problem with individuals expressing their opinion. However, I along with some of the council members who were targets of the media blitz declined to respond in turn because we remained under the impression the review with the city manager would be in private, and I for one was obligated (as a courtesy) to the city manager to say nothing to the press. Of course things started to "snow ball" before I had time to get "my side" of the issue to the public.


3. Ray Pilara, the coordinator of the recall campaign, has responded to me that he feels he has yet to hear any concise, coherent reasons why City Manager Pentz should be let go. Could you please take a moment and clarify the specific reasons that you feel Pentz did not merit continuing in his role? Or clarify your position on this, otherwise?


First, The Chandler's City Charter clearly outlines that the city manager reports to the Council. The city manager can be released from his contract without cause. These contractual agreements are standard throughout the United States and any city manager knows the rewards and risks associated with these agreements.

Second, I summarized my reasons in the "My Turn" column:

On Monday evening, the Mayor and Council agreed by a 5-2 vote to accept a separation agreement with the City Manager. As you know, the City Manager works directly for the Mayor and Council. The events that culminated in the public review were unfortunate. In the end, both the City Council and the City Manager agreed the separation agreement was in the best interests of both parties.

First and foremost, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that during the public hearing, many positive attributes were noted about our City Manager. I, too, joined in praise of his accomplishments.

However, there were several concerns expressed about his professionalism and performance from our Council and community. Most will agree, the examples raised about his professional conduct wouldn't be tolerated in the private work place and definitely shouldn't be tolerated in government, including:

* Several "heated exchanges" with a Councilmember.

* Several instances of the City Manager yelling at citizens.

* The president of Chandler‚s „rank and file‰ police officers‚ organization stated that the City Manager threatened to withhold the benefits of a salary survey if he did not tone down his public comments about the safety of his police officers.

However, my main concern with the City Manager was the inordinate amount of time it took him to respond back to me on questions that I posed. Many of the questions were posed to the City Manager because citizens like you asked me for information or answers to questions. This was extremely disturbing to me because you (like your boss, employer or customer) deserve timely answers to your concerns. In many cases, I had to ask repeatedly for answers to your questions and concerns and they weren‚t addressed for weeks, or sometimes months.

This was an issue of mine during last year‚s review of the City Manager. He recognized the need to do better and agreed to work on improving his responsiveness. Unfortunately, a year later, there was little improvement.

As a 23-year-resident of this community, I want to assure you I didn't take this issue lightly. I didn't want to see more divisiveness in our community. I did my best without malice to try and give the City Manager the benefit of the doubt and listen to all sides on this issue.

I understand the importance of the city manager‚s position to effective city operations. I and the rest of the Council will certainly work hard to find a quality candidate who will partner with us and continue to move our community forward.

4. I appreciate that Pentz' separation from the role as a City Manager is not the same as being fired. All five Council members present voted in favor of that separation agreement (two having left the executive session in protest before the vote). Mayor Dunn has expressed his reason for voting in favor as having been motivated out of seeking fairness for Pentz. Could you please share your reasons and insights on why you voted for that separation agreement?

Please note that Mr. Pentz gave his proposal for separation prior to our executive session and the public hearing. The Council chose not to read the separation agreement until after the public hearing. I voted for the separation agreement rather than be punitive and just terminate the city manager. The city manager would have received (by the original contractual agreement) less compensation if he was terminated than under the terms outlined in the separation agreement.

5. One of the implications of the recall effort is that it may be more constructive to recall Council members who make an unpopular decision than to have them continue in office carrying forward on the initiatives in other areas that they feel strongly about. I wonder if you could please share with me how you see the upcoming two and a half years of your tenure on the Council and what you would be focusing on, specifically, up to the end of your term in 2008.

As I have done for ten years on the Council, I will work to improve Chandler‚s established neighborhoods ˆ to ensure they are safe and work to ensure they don‚t deteriorate. I will work with other Council members on devising and implementing a solid build-out strategy for the city. I will continue to be fiscally prudent while supporting a level of services to our citizens that is consistent with that responsibility. I will work to improve our park and recreation systems and ensure the citizens of Chandler receive prompt answers and actions to their requests.

6. Do you have any other comments about anything we've discussed or other topics you'd like to share with me or the readers of the "Precinct 134" blog?

A recall is serious and should be used as a tool for malfeasance, crimes, etc and as a last resort for a pattern of inappropriate behavior or disregard for the general public opinion. Over the last three years, there have been many council decisions ( 7 story building, Wal-Mart in neighborhoods, auto mall near the college, transfer station) that have upset neighborhoods and citizens. The citizens worked with the council to resolve the disputes and not threaten a recall. I ask Chandler residents to look at my service to this community (23 years) and nation (Colonel in the Arizona National Guard - 28 years) as a whole, and not one ugly incident that I had little control over the hype.
Thank you, again, Councilman Orlando, for your time and consideration in responding to my questions. Please also feel free to expand or clarify any statements in the comments section, too.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geo,

Found your blog recently. Thanks for the unbiased presentation of information.

I have two comments. First, have you approached other city council members with your interview questions? I would be interested in hearing other responses.

Second, I have only heard the recall folks talk about the Pentz issue. Doesn't council vote on many issues? How can ONE issue be cause for a recall. It certainly doesn't establish a pattern.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Geo said...

Hi Anon,

Thanks for your comments. I've only approached Councilmen Huggins and Orlando with these questions.

Councilman Huggins responded with a fairly generic answer, but it was clear he's in favor of re-hiring Pentz.

I hadn't intended to send these questions to Councilman Orlando, but was surprised to hear from him that he'd be interested in giving feedback. That's why he is one of the few to be interviewed.

I'll give serious consideration to asking the other Council members, too.

You raise a good point about the other Council business. I note that at the latest Council meeting, they had seven unanimous votes on various business. So it's clear that they can act in unity and get things done together. As Councilman Orlando said, the Council members do a LOT of work together - it's hardly reasonable to let one issue be a cause of a recall. It's just that this issue seems to have brought the knives out from those who disagree with Orlando and Sepulveda's take on things.

As I'm currently blogging from overseas, I am somewhat constrained in the information I have access to...I can send email interviews or link to articles, but that's about it. When I return to Chandler in August, I'll be able to cover more than what's just making headlines.

Oh, and regarding bias, I have to confess that I, like everyone, surely do have my biases. Whether I'm good at suppressing them (or using them constructively) is a matter for you folks to decide! :)

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geo,

I also thank you for the unbiased and fair presentation of the information.

A recall for two dedicated and experienced leaders such as Orlando and Supelveda would drive a stake through this community. In addition the rehiring of a City Manager that has already agreed to a seperation agreement should not even be an option. Decisions are made weather they are liked or not, and we need to move on. Including Mark Pentz!

A recall is only justified when there is a "crisis" in the leadership that we have elected. We have no such "crisis" in Chandler that would warrant this extreme move. The only thing that comes close to a "crisis" is that a few misguided individuals and elected leaders are trying to exploit the Mark Pentz seperation into political shenanigans, a partisan political move to gain votes and support for Jeff Weininger, a struggling City Council candidate. An individual that has already been overly critical and obviously biased against certain Councilmembers.

I will be the first in line to support and dedicate my time to a "save our community, no recall" campaign!

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I will be signing the recall petition as soon as I can. What the four councilmembers did should be considered a crime. Money wasted and a career damaged because of personal feelings.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Geo said...

So, anon...

...completely ignoring the information that has been provided on this blog that suggests there may have been legitimate reasons to give Pentz a less than stellar review, ignoring that Pentz himself submitted the separation agreement request, ignoring that a Recall election is expected to be very divisive and costly for our city, and ignoring that one or two fine public servants will be pilloried because you happen to disagree with a decision they made (while they've made many, many good decisions for our city), you'll still be signing the recall petition?

Well, forgive me for noticing it, but that sounds a lot like you're promoting more "money wasted and a career damaged because of personal feelings." Are you prepared to forfeit your job? ;)

Seriously, though, I know that a lot of people are so verklempt about all of this that they just want revenge against Councilmen Orlando and Sepulveda and the rational arguments aren't sufficient to satisfy them - they just want blood. But in my opinion, having the right to vote means accepting the responsibility to do so maturely. And iI don't think it's a very mature reaction to an unpopular decision to recall someone.

Sepulveda's and Orlando's terms expire in 2008, only a couple of years away. Common-sense conservatives - and I happen to consider myself one - will appreciate that if you are unhappy with the decisions they're making on the Council, the better, more reasonable, more mature and civic-minded option is to vote them out of office when their term expires.

Which is why I oppose the recall effort generally, wont be signing the petition, and won't vote to recall. But I appreciate that others may feel differently. You may have good reasons, but I just think it's a shame that some hotheads are trying to tear the city apart so they can exact their own brand of payback through a recall.

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I finally got around to catching up on this, and have to commend you on your questions for Orlando. Nicely done.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting comments. From reading Mr. Orlando's blog - I feel he is saying 'The previous council let go of one city manager - why can't we?'. He also made a point, as the other council members did as well, of stating the city manager serves at the pleasure of the council. That is all well and good, but we expect the council to be good employers. Mr Orlando during the open session seemed to want to play the part of a detective by presenting information he had collected that was outside the relm of the review process (i.e. calls made to previous employees, etc). He did so in hopes of justifying his position. As for the statements of yelling at employees - well, his fellow councilmen Martin seems to find joy in this pratice as was represented in his emails about Mr. Pentz. And, as for Kirk calling Mr. Orlando and Martin fine leaders...I have to object...Neither of them have demonstrated leadership ability in their Councilmen positions. The closest Mr. Orlando has come was his statement in a recent article almost admitting to his shortcomings as a councilmen and stating he needed to do a better job with communicating with the rest of the council. This later statement is the heart of the issue - not the termination of Mr. Pentz. We have two council members on the council who are not receptive to debate - Mr. Orlando and Martin Sepulveda. Martin is more of a domient force and refuses to accept any constructive feedback or listen to the views of others. Mr. Orlando, however, seems to be a puppet with Martin pulling his strings. I personally would rather see two other folks on the council who are more receptive to feedback and listen to the needs of the city and are responsive to the people.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Geo said...

Dear Silent,

Thank you for your comments. A few thoughts regarding your points:

1. From reading Mr. Orlando's blog - I feel he is saying 'The previous council let go of one city manager - why can't we?'.

No, actually, I thought Matt was being pretty clear that he was pointing out the hypocrisy of the three people on the council who separated the former City Manager - and the folks in the community that didn't utter a peep when they did it - compared to the major crisis it seems to be now. The disparity in the reactions between then and now indicate that it's not a rational process that's leading to so much bitterness, but a lot of politics and stirred-up emotion. Dunn and Caccamo were instrumental in separating the former Manager - but now they've come over with a case of the vapors because Pentz has been separated? Won't someone think of the money! And despite the fact that they've done exactly the same thing they're castigating Westbrooks, Orlando, Wallace and Sepulveda for, we're supposed to believe that their indignation now is righteous? No, it's called hypocrisy.

Mr Orlando during the open session seemed to want to play the part of a detective by presenting information he had collected that was outside the relm of the review process...

This statement is, in itself, grossly inconsistent with reality. Pentz himself opened the door to extra-review information when he brought in the 360-review reports. And when Orlando tried to note that they were not part of the review process, Caccamo tartly noted that he'd want all information possible at his disposal in order to make the best decision. Fair enough. But if you're going to accept the extra-review feedback that supports your case, you can't balk when someone brings in information that argues the other way.

3. Neither of them have demonstrated leadership ability in their Councilmen positions.

This is another flatly inconsistent statement. Who is the person on the dais most responsible for showing leadership? It's clearly supposed to be the Mayor. But no one in their right mind, looking at the way the whole issue has unfolded over the past six months, could even remotely suggest that Mayor Dunn has evidenced sound leadership in this issue.

No, what he's done is worked to agitate against four members on his council, so as to drive a wedge deeper between two factions. He's been pretty incompetent at conflict management and at building consensus or a collaborative approach. It's easy for some to blame Orlando and Sepulveda for a polarized situation, but the fact is, they didn't create the problem - they walked into it. The problem has been brewing for many months, and part of it, at least, is due to poor leadership from our Mayor.

Speaking of which, if anyone doesn't think that the partisanship of Mayor Dunn, Councilman Caccamo and candidate Weninger have had nothing to do with this whole mess, then they're willfully closing their eyes to the politics being played right in front of them.

In conclusion, while I appreciate your adding your views, I can't agree with them. Respectfully, all three of your key points fail under closer, rational scrutiny.

But, in my observation, logic seldom convince people how they should vote, especially when they've already made up their mind based on factors that have nothing to do with reason.

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geo,

Lets continue the debate...;-)

1) Mr. Orlando is repeatedly bringing up the release of the previous city manager. Why? Again, this seems to be to be saying 'They did it, why can't we?'. To add to this, it also seems as though he is making a statement that his is a common thing. Is it? I don't know. Should it be? No. So - I think it would be in his best interest to stop saying it because he is coming across like a kid whose brother got a new toy and he didn't.

2) Junior Dectective Orlando. I'm not sure why you stated this was "grossly inconsistent with reality". I'll admit to using the same term - dectective - as the newspaper articles I have read regarding the review, but I believe it is accurate. Some (not all) of the items Mr. Orlando brought up had already been known prior to the hiring of Mr. Pentz. So, why bring them up again in the public review process with additional follow 'interviews'? It seemed there was an agenda to further ruin Mr. Pentz's career. As an employer, I expect more out of our councel members and I would expect them to stick to the current employment issues.

3) Leadership ability of Mr. Orlando and Martin. You really didn't address this in your comments other than to state it was 'flatly inconsistant'. You did bring up the lack of leadership demonstrated by our Mayor. To this, I will agree. The Mayor should be able to bring his council together. This, obviously, has not occurred under this Mayor. However, the council members are also responsible for this dilema as well.

So, going to your comment "It's easy for some to blame Orlando and Sepulveda for a polarized situation, but the fact is, they didn't create the problem - they walked into it." I can agree that there is a leadership issue - but I can't agree that these two are part of the solution - I believe they have made the problem worse and more pronounced.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright 2006 © Geo's Precinct 134
All Rights Reserved.
eXTReMe Tracker