Welcome to Precinct 134, a political blog focusing on Chandler, Arizona and the surrounding community.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Tact, patience, courtesy and harmonious relationships? Maybe.

In perusing the Chandler Municipal Code today, I ran across Chapter 2, relating to the duties of the City Manager. I noticed this rather topical subsection:
2-8.2. Conduct. In the discharge of the duties of City Manager, the person holding such position shall endeavor at all times to exercise the highest degree of tact, patience and courtesy in contacts with the public and with all City Boards, Departments and Employees and shall endeavor to establish and maintain a harmonious relationship between all personnel employed in the government of the City to the end that the highest possible standards of public service shall be continuously maintained.
Considering some of the comments that were made about Pentz in his recent review, this section caught my attention.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that it's noteworthy, given the current climate, but "shall endeavor" is not the same as "shall."

10:31 PM  
Blogger Geo said...

It's an important distinction, I agree.

I've seen how factionalizing can occur in organizations, whether they're churches, business teams or community groups. It's next to impossible to tease apart the various factors that contribute to it, even when you're an insider and have been trained in mediation. "Ascribing fault", therefore, often becomes just another way folks have of projecting their own partisanship into the issue.

I guess that's why I have to remain somewhat undecided on the question of whether Pentz' was at cause in the rift that developed on the Council. I don't have a dog in the hunt, basically, and can't reasonably either condemn him nor give him a pass. Not based on any direct familiarity with his interactions with those Council members and staffers who claim to be concerned, anyway.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright 2006 © Geo's Precinct 134
All Rights Reserved.
eXTReMe Tracker