Welcome to Precinct 134, a political blog focusing on Chandler, Arizona and the surrounding community.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Ray Pilara responds to my emails on the recall.

As my readers know, I've been quite conflicted and concerned about the City Council recall effort promoted by Ray Pilara. I've corresponded with a number of folks involved, including Councilman Lowell Huggins and Ray Pilara himself.

While I still do not agree with the appropriateness of the recall, I thought it would be helpful for people to understand where Ray is coming from. Hence, I've asked him if I could post our correspondence on this blog and he has agreed.

In the spirit, then, of considering this issue objectively, our four emails are copied below exactly as they were sent/received. I would sincerely like to thank Ray for his swift and thorough responses and for his permission to reproduce them here. I begin with my first email to him:
Dear Ray,

I must say, as a citizen of Chandler for a dozen years, and one of your neighbors, I was saddened to see the rift developing on our City Council. It seems to have been developing for some time, and erupted in this latest mess with Pentz. And I'm not happy at all with the way it was handled.

However, I must say that I am further concerned by your recall effort. It seems to be singling out Sepulveda and Orlando when there is clearly a pervasive toxic culture on the Council which includes, at the very least, Mayor Dunn as well.

I wonder if you could help me understand why you believe this recall will help heal the rift, as opposed to simply widening the gap. I appreciate your anger and frustration over the Pentz affair, but why are you prepared to undermine even further the stability of our elected offices by lobbying for this effort?

I'm also concerned at who might be bankrolling this recall effort - I believe you mentioned there are some people kicking in significant money to help it get going? In the interests of full disclosure and openness, I think the citizens of Chandler at least deserve to know who is funding this.

I hope you're able to respond to this email - I'm sincere in wanting to understand your position on this issue better.

Respectfully,
George Gregg
Chandler, AZ
Ray responded a few hours later with this email:
Dear Mr. Gregg,

You are correct, at this time the recall effort is singling out Mr. Orlando and Mr. Sepulveda. Since the council made its 5-2 vote in the wee hours of Tuesday morning April 11, I thought long and hard regarding Mayor Dunn. Reviewing his comments in the paper he "appears" to be acting in the best interests of Mr. Pentz and the city -> fairness to Mr. Pentz and preventing a civil action against the city. As for Donna Wallace and Phil Westbrooks, they will be leaving the council, so there is no reason to pursue them.

I believe the recall notifies "all" city council members present and future that ignoring the public has a cost. If you can suggest a better means to get through to these folks, by all means let me know. Recall is the only vehicle available to voters to let elected officials know when they have placed personal feeling and agendas above the public good. As a side note, have you seen in any article published where Mr. Orlando or Mr. Suplveda stated: I/we did this in the best interest of the city for the following reasons...? I have not! I also hope that if and when council members start promoting the good of the people, there will no longer be a rift - they will be working for a "common" cause.

You stated: "I'm concerned at who might be bankrolling this recall effort - I believe you mentioned here some people kicking in significant money to help get it going". I do not recall stating or implying that. There is no
one bankrolling this effort, all I have are emails wherein people have stated they would contribute to the action. None of the emails specified any monetary amount, in fact most only said they would carry petitions and get signatures. IF and when we do receive financial donations full disclosure, as mandated by law, will be made.

Respectfully
Ray Pilara
I then followed up with another email:
Dear Mr. Pilara,

I very much appreciate your swift and considerate response to my email.

First, let me apologize for a misunderstanding - I had read in an article a comment that was attributed to you that suggested that you had, even before beginning the recall effort, the assurances of some folks that they would support you financially. If that's not the case, then I do apologize and appreciate your clarification.

I must confess that I am not convinced that a recall is the best thing for Chandler, but I'm still trying to gather feedback from a number of people. I think your response is very helpful in understanding a bit better your position and feelings on this. May I please post our exchange on my blog? I think it would greatly help folks, as they consider this issue, to hear your comments.

Thank you for your consideration.

Yours,
George
Ray followed up with another response, shortly thereafter:
Mr. Gregg,

Yes you may post my reply on you blog. I would also like to know what feedback you receive, both for and against the recall. I hope "we" can get people active in the governance of this city - get them out to vote in the May run-off.

Please let me know how I can access your blog.

The only support received was from 2 people at the April 10 meeting stating; they would support a recall movement if one were started; there was no mention of money. There were 4 or five of us just voicing our opinions during a "short" break. I do not even know who they are.

Respecfully

Ray Pilara
P.S. If either Matt or Martin would have provided "valid" reasons why terminating Mark, was for the "good of the city", the recall probably would not have gone forward. (The same is true for Donna and Phil.)
***

You folks know where I stand, but I will let these emails speak for themselves. I'm following up with a brief email to Ray to let him know I've posted these and welcome his additional comments as he is inclined.

I would like to thank my neighbor Ray once more, very much, for his considerate responses to my inquiries. While we do not agree on this issue, I greatly appreciate his passion and concern for our city.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geo,

Found this just now and linked to it. I've been busy since late last week and haven't posted much, so I've just catching up now. Do you know what the format of a recall election is in Chandler? Is there a recall first, followed by appointment of replacements or a secondary election? Or are there candidates that run against the incumbents in the recall? I'll see if Ray knows the answer.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Geo said...

Hi Jake,

Honestly, I don't know the format of such a recall in Chandler!

It's probably listed in the Municipal Code - I'll scope that out.

Perhaps the 1994 recall would offer some guidance, too, if Ray doesn't know.

I'll post what I learn from the Code. If/when you find out, I'd be very interested in hearing what you learn.

2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright 2006 © Geo's Precinct 134
All Rights Reserved.
eXTReMe Tracker