Radical Republicans growing more desperate?
Nevertheless, this comment from user "vansmack" was so out-of-the-blue and rabid that it was almost laughable:
Geo, welcome aboard you racist, anti-American traitor...your dog won't hunt. The LEGAL American citizens have spoken. Now take your illegals and go mow some more lawns. Your intentions are obvious.Wow. See the full exchange here.*
Now, I have a number of Republican friends and family members, and I have a high respect for them and many of their views. Indeed, until recently, I was a Republican myself before switching to the Democratic Party. I consider myself to be a fiscal conservative, a progressive on civil liberties and basic safety-net issues, and a common-sense pragmatist when it comes to most other things, such as free trade and so forth.
And my reputation and credibility as a patriot and a racial and ethnic egalitarian is already well earned and cemented, not only by literally hundreds of honest people who could attest to my character, but also by years of community development work to empower minority communities. So I'm not really ruffled by this kind of frothing attack, because it's just so farcical.
You know, I've always tried to find common ground when possible, and to disagree agreeably. In that regard, I'm reminded of Barry Goldwater's comment "To disagree, one doesn't need to be disagreeable." And I've long held Thomas Jefferson's maxim close to my heart, when he says "Not every difference of opinion is a difference of principle."
But I've noticed in my online interactions that SOME of the folks on the radical right-wing fringe are getting rather more vehement and desperate sounding in their attacks, lately. I wonder if this has anything to do with it. A 33% approval rate for "Brand W" can't be making them happy.
*Update: Another thread where the same unhinged user inexplicably calls me a "racist Chicano".


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home