Welcome to Precinct 134, a political blog focusing on Chandler, Arizona and the surrounding community.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Founder of "Community Counts" responds.

In an earlier post today, I mentioned the community service school club called Community Counts, founded by Kathy Shamley. In response to an email I sent Kathy requesting more information about the extent of their work in the East Valley, she swiftly sent me this reply:
Hi George,

Thanks for your e-mail and for posting our information on your blog.

Currently I am the only Community Counts sponsor in the East Valley as far as I know. I started the club at Corona del Sol high school to help bridge the gap between inner city kids and low income seniors with more fortunate students. I have been very lucky to meet great kids who are as committed to the working poor and elderly as I am.

I would be more than willing to help anyone out to start new chapters, but am sincerely committed the chapters should involve preschool to high school students in public schools who are interested in learning and helping people who are less fortunate. My group is a devoted bunch who sincerely believe in the future by giving a hand up and believing our world can be a better place if we offer help without judging their situation. I feel my club members are truly amazing individuals.

Kathy Shamley
It seems to me that this is the kind of program that, if it were to catch hold in each of our schools as a possible extracurricular club/group, could do a LOT of good for our community. Imagine, every one of our schools fielding groups who, each season, promoted some community activity for the working poor or elderly.

Not only would it be doing a lot of people a lot of good, but it would be offering kids the opportunity to truly cultivate a consciousness of social issues and the need to be active at addressing community needs.

I believe I'll send Slade Mead, candidate for State Superintendent of Public Instruction, an email asking what he thinks about this program and perhaps its broader viability.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright 2006 © Geo's Precinct 134
All Rights Reserved.
eXTReMe Tracker